Saturday, October 31, 2009

H1N1 Fun

So after much going back and forth, I've decided I would like to get the H1N1 vaccination, and have Cameron vaccinated as well. Since I'm 36 weeks pregnant, and Cameron is 3, we're both in the "high priority group". We tried to go today when it opened, and there was already a huge line up. I'm talking about 4 hours in line. I physically cannot stand up for that long, so we left without getting the shot.

But the funniest thing happened when we first arrived. I got out of my car in the parking lot, and a man was by his car across from mine. He was talking loudly on his cell phone, raging about the stupidity of people getting the vaccination. His conversation went something like this - "Do you know what's in those shots? Thimerosal, which is mercury! Do you know what that does to people? Why would you put mercury right into a child's brain? You're going to kill your child! These people are all stupid, why would you put that stuff into your child?!"

First of all, I'm thinking to myself has this guy ever eaten a can of tuna fish? Secondly, what was so funny about this, is that he was railing against the evils of putting poisons into your body as he was lighting a cigarette! Oh, the irony. I couldn't stop laughing. This other guy next to me noticed it as well and we both had a good chuckle.

Here's hoping for a happy and safe flu season. Because until those line ups go down, I'm afraid I'm vaccination-free for now.

No comments: