Thursday, September 17, 2009

No More Complaints From Me!

Lately I have been feeling really ready to have this baby, even though I'm not due until November. I guess with all the chaos of moving, working, chasing after a now 3 year old, I was feeling just plain done.

Especially last weekend. I was so tired, and on Thursday night started having these uncomfortable Braxton Hicks, which made me want to be done even more! Then the Braxton Hicks just kept coming. And getting more uncomfortable. And weren't stopping. By Sunday morning, I paged my midwife (LOVE midwives, by the way) and told her that something just wasn't right. By this time I was sure they were contractions, and they were coming every 5-10 minutes or so. She told me to meet her at the hospital in about 2 hours. In case your wondering why 2 hours and not immediately, we had time since there wasn't any other signs of pre-term labour. My midwife also ran through the possible scenarios of what could be happening, right from nothing to worry about, to ending up in a Toronto hospital that specializes in pre-term labour. I was a bit freaked out.

When we got to the hospital, they hooked me up to the machines to monitor the baby and uterine activity. Baby was fine and moving around lots. But it also showed that I was definitely having contractions every 3 minutes that were lasting about 60 seconds each. I started to panic just a bit more with that. They were going to do a test to see if I had a certain chemical present that would indicate I was going to go into labour within the next 7-14 days. About an hour later the results came back and were negative! We breathed a huge sigh of relief.

So what was causing my contractions?

Mild dehydration. Who knew? My midwife practically stuck a garden hose down my throat. Well not really, but I was drinking a swimming pool full of water as soon when she saw I was somewhat dehydrated. After drinking my weight in water, by Monday afternoon the contractions had completely stopped, and I was feeling a whole lot better.

And as for complaining about how I'm feeling and wanting this baby out NOW? Um, no thank you. The scary possibility that presented itself this weekend cured me of that. This kid can chill out for about 2 more months and that will be just dandy with me.

But if he's past my due date, I reserve every right to whine and complain after that.

2 comments:

Canadian Mommy said...

Ah! Scary! Remember to rest and drink water all day long! I'm thinking of you!

Jenn and Mike said...

Glad that things are going well! Good luck on your final month - I am sure by now you are about done with the pregnancy!