Saturday, May 30, 2009

Um, Happy Father's Day?

When I was younger, we bought my mom a toaster for Mother's Day (at least I think it was for Mother's Day). I was at that age where my dad and older brother had to explicitly tell me not to tell Mom that we got her a toaster. Of course, when it was time to give it to her I asked her "do you think it's a toaster?". Technically, I didn't tell her what we bought, I just wondered if she thought that's what it might be.

So today Cameron and I were out in the morning and I stopped at a place to have Cameron make a Father's Day gift. Early in the month, I know, but we had some time to get it done today. Cameron chose to paint a motorbike (surprise, surprise). While he was painting, I reminded him this was a gift for Dad, and that we had to keep it a surprise and not tell him until it was Father's Day.

Of course what was the first thing he did when we got home? He yells up to Ash from the bottom of the stairs at the top of his little lungs "I PAINTED YOU A MOTORBIKE, DADDY!!! IT'S A SURPRISE FOR YOU!!" I could have gotten away with just pretending to not understand what he was talking about, or to make some alternative story up, but I had missed some paint on his elbow which pretty much substantiated his tale. So I told Ash to act surprised when the day comes next month. And yes, Cameron again had to remind Dad at the table during lunch about painting him a motorbike.

There are no secrets among 2 year olds.

No comments: